Wednesday, October 3, 2007

More Math


Alec and I had another math lesson. I made up a story about Plus and Minus and some games they played and we worked on some addition and subtraction problems. We worked on single digit's up to twelve. He had done all of this last year and this was just a fun review for him. He was working on 6 plus 6 and he had 6 gems on either side of Plus and he looked at me with big eyes and said, "I get it! 6 plus 6 really does equal 12!" It had been a very abstract concept for him, until that point!

1 comment:

Sally said...

Will you teach us? I love the playful, fanciful manner of learning math that you have presented to the kids. Do they ever want to do "real math" like their friends in school? MG says occassionally that in school they sit all day and to math sheets. This is based on a friend's 4th grade sister....why MG would want to do that is beyond me!